There’s nothing more calming than the sound of the pouring rain. Some find its smell pleasant for the nerves; others find it soothing and romantic etc. Experts suggest that walking in the rain is a beautiful healing experience because it releases suppressed emotions and thoughts, and it calms the mind as well.
Did you know that the scent of the rain has a unique name? Yes, it has, and it is called Petrichor after the two Australian scientists.
The fragrance is a mix of oils (released by the plants), chemicals (released by soil-dwelling bacteria), and lightning when splits nitrogen and oxygen molecules that transform into nitric oxide.
If you are stressed, feeling blue, or you need a moment to relax, then these rainy days are perfect for those conditions.
The following are seven benefits for your body when you walk while it’s raining:
- The scent of the rain clears your mind.
- The humidity keeps your hair and skin moisturized.
- According to some Japanese researchers, if you are physically active in cold and rainy weather, you burn more calories compared to activities done on a good day.
- The air is cleaner and purified while raining because droplets absorb microbes and dust.
- A walk on a rainy day makes you feel rebellious.
- You can see problems from another perspective when you are walking in the rain.
- Only a few people go out in the rain, and this gives us more space so our emotions and thoughts can run wild.
So go out when it’s raining, do not be afraid. Remember, this will give you a new lease on life.